Sunday, February 6, 2011

On Anonymity

As on online seller, I have been exposed to press releases, TV appearances and frequent exchange of calling cards with strangers. It was at first exciting to meet new friends, but there were times that I came across some obnoxious people who would send me offensive messages through my phone or via my site. It hurt me in a way because I work very hard given my thrust of giving back by positioning myself as a social entrepreneur. It was hard to trust business contacts on Multiply or take calls for orders, but for more than a year I was able to maintain a level of confidence regarding the sincerity of most clients. A lot actually became my friends.

That changed though when I got a "dugo dugo" sort of phone call on my mobile. I knew it was meant to scare me. Could it be a former driver or a serious threat? I would not know.

Hence after that experience, I just wanted to keep myself anonymous and deflect my hunger for a little fame as entrepreneur. As a finalist for an international business plan competition, my profile was all over the web. My name is easily searchable via google. I have videos on youtube during my pitches. There were several articles written about me on magazines. Let's just say, I had my share of fame during my stint as entrepreneur. I detested that for a while, hence my indefinite leave on Multiply and the mompreneur scene. An after effect of my baby's death, my battle with my own mortality and my fear of personal security.

My doctor called it anxiety attack. My husband viewed it as ka-praningan. But whatever it's called, I prefer this sense of freedom. I read a post of an up and coming blogger Tina Tagle, a regular housewife discovered by big timer chuvaness.com. I can sense her panic about her new fame.

Hence for My Magic Wand, I prefer anonymity.

No comments:

Post a Comment